Book Title: Advocacy for School Leaders: Becoming a Strong Voice for Education
Publisher: R&L Education
Author: Sandra Whitaker
- Educational Courage: Resisting the Ambush of Public Education
- The Art of Possibility: Transforming Professional and Personal Life
- The Curriculum Studies Reader
- Liberating Leadership Capacity: Pathways to Educational Wisdom
- Autism Spectrum Disorders: Foundations, Characteristics, and Effective Strategies, Pearson eText with Loose-Leaf Version -- Access Card Package (2nd Edition) (What's New in Special Education)
- Reading, Writing, and Literacy 2.0 Teaching with Online Texts, Tools, and Resources, K-8
- Technology, Reading & Digital Literacy: Strategies to Engage the Reluctant Reader
- Living the Questions, second edition: A Guide for Teacher-Researchers
- Teaching Students with Learning Problems (8th Edition)
- Teaching Children's Literature: It's Critical!
In today's political and global world, it's not enough to remain a solid educational leader. Leaders must become advocates for education_on Capitol Hill, in state legislatures, and within communities. Advocacy for School Leaders: Becoming a Strong Voice for Education, written by an educator for educators, examines key issues facing education, demonstrates methods for addressing the issues, and discusses strategies to advocate for an education agenda at local and federal levels. Starting with local impact and moving to federal initiatives, Sandra Whitaker provides significant insights into school-business partnerships and the legislative process, allowing educators to approach advocacy efforts with greater understanding of the institutions with which they must work. The advocacy action points and questions for reflection included in each chapter allow readers to adapt the information and strategies to their local contexts. Based on her experiences working with the media, business leaders, and elected officials, this book presents practical approaches for working with educators and those outside the field to understand issues facing today's schools and for identifying and promoting sensible solutions that elevate teaching and learning.